Here’s a list of resources I’ve gathered in my free time. I’ll be adding more every now and then.
If you feel alone/depressed in medical school or medicine and want to know if you’re the only one:
- I hate medical school and my life feels like a chore
- Should I quit medical school after three years?? – Some simple but nice words of advice coming from the #1 answer.
- Pamela Wible MD
- Avoid Burnout – A nice post I found with some decent advice if you’re considering a leave of absence. It’s also a pretty hilarious blog.
- Black Bile: Silence is deadening – Speaking up against physician depression and suicide.
- My brother’s life, unraveled – A very sad, very true, story.
- Should I quit medical school? – Every medical student struggles with this question at one time or another. Every. Single. One.
- Being a good medical student doesn’t mean you’ll be a good doctor – Stop comparing yourself to other med students and start enjoying the journey.
- LOA – Another student who took a leave of absence, and a story she wrote based on it.
If you’re tired of medical school/medicine and looking for a different future:
- American Medical Writer’s Association
- A survival guide for dropping out of medical school
- Explore careers – Just something to get your imagination going, whether you’re an MD or not.
- Alternative careers for MDs – Gives you a few ideas of what you could explore with an MD outside of clinical practice.
- Lisa Rankin – An actual MD that actually left medicine to pursue other stuff. She gives her own list of alternative careers for doctors here.
- Alternative careers for doctors – This one’s from the UK, but it’s helpful nonetheless.
- Other possible alternatives – Also from the UK, also helpful.
- List of career options – Another list coming from the UK.
- Aerospace Medical Association – This one’s more for medical students looking for different options. So that you can start exploring those branches of medicine you never knew existed.
- Medical Crossing – For those of you who already have an MD
- I’ve had it with medicine! – Other options, from Medscape!
- Vista Staffing and Global medical staffing – If you’re a doctor and wondering whether you can go and escape to another country.
- 10 questions to ask yourself before giving up on your dream – Leaving medicine isn’t easy, no matter the stage you’re at. A few words of wisdom to help you decide.
- #whatshouldwecallmedschool – If you are a medical student and want to have a few laughs.
- Goo Tolerance Index: Choosing a medical specialty – Light-hearted humor, but I actually find it’s pretty accurate.
- Medical Specialty Aptitude Test – If you’re on the fence about which specialty you want and want some direction.
- I heart Guts – Plush organs! How cute is that?!
- KevinMD – Like they said: Social media’s leading physician voice.
- 5 things residents wish they knew about the match – For fourth year med students
- Aspects of psychiatry this doctor appreciates – If you’re leaning towards psychiatry….a few arguments speaking in favor of this awesome specialty!
Related to mental health and therapy:
- Surviving the end of therapy – A very decent chunk of advice on this topic.
- How writing is essential in therapy – If you’re having trouble communicating with your therapist. Writing is powerful!
- 5 Things Not to Worry About in Therapy – I look over this list every now and then because I forget each and every one of these items is true. It helps.
- How to rebuild your life after a breakdown – “Getting back your confidence” is a really important part
- Attachment to your therapist – It’s not just patients who feel stuff at the conclusion of therapy, therapists do too.
- Being suicidal: What it feels like to want to kill yourself – Article with a scientific edge. Helpful, nonetheless, for those who want to understand.
- The invisible power of childhood emotional neglect – A short article on the topic.
- Childhood emotional neglect: the fatal flaw – Another one.
On Depression, BPD, anxiety, and eating disorders:
- Characteristics of Borderline Personality Disorder – If you’re looking for information on the topic, it’s a good place to start.
- All about anorexia – Lengthy, but incredibly helpful if you want to understand anorexia nervosa.
- Who is at risk for developing an eating disorder?
- Eating disorders…the Real issues – It’s from a blog, but I feel it’s pretty spot on. In summary: it’s never just about weight.
- How my eating disorder developed in adolescence – Similar to the previous link. I identified with this article a bit.
- How to choose a BPD therapist – In case you’re feeling lost. But really, the most important one is to find someone who understands, can help, and is willing to work with you or your loved one.
- 9 ways to take care of yourself when you have depression – General guidelines, tailor these according to your needs and personality.
- When the Borderline patient becomes the therapist – Yes, it’s totally possible to be one.
Advice for anyone and everyone:
- 30 things to start doing for yourself
- The 13 worst mistakes people make in their 20s
- 6 signs of silently abusive relationships – I identified with each of the 6 signs.
- 10 things not to say to a depressed person – I’ve been told a few of these before. Please don’t.
- 12 pieces of Buddhist wisdom that will transform your life
- On Being Overwhelmed by Change
- How to believe in yourself in the face of overwhelming doubt – “What can I do to become better?” seriously, that question changed everything for me.
- 10 questions to ask yourself before giving up on your dream – Important questions when facing important decisions!
- Why do I hate myself? – Never easy to deal with.
- 11 things you should stop apologizing for – I find 2 and 5 are really important.